Having the best and more reliable tools is extremely important, but ensuring those tools are properly maintained is equally – if not, more important.
It’s important to note that certain tools operate fine without special care and attention however, many do.
Torque wrenches require regular calibration and recalibration for optimum performance.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be able to correct the performance and arraign reliable results every time.
Maintain accuracy with torque wrench calibration
Proper torque wrench calibration is essential to a successful operation.
Aside from accuracy, calibration also measures the reliability of the jobs performed by the wrench from day-to-day operations.
How often to calibrate torque wrenches
The frequency in calibrating torque wrenches all depends on:
- The user
- Unique working conditions
- Frequency of use
To that end, the international standards require a minimum of once yearly calibration for certification.
How can you know when you need to calibrate and recalibrate your wrench?
It is useful to know that the readings have a tendency to change between 2500 and 2800 repetitions, so it is recommended that you calibrate your wrench when you have made 2500 repetitions.
This is due to the fact that almost all manual torque audit wenches have internal springs, which will shorten their length over time, causing readings to be inaccurate. Stahlwille wrenches have no springs, so will stay in spec much longer.
Why you need to know when to calibrate your torque wrench
- Do you want to avoid errors?
- Do you want consistency in your torque readings?
- Do you want to minimize repairs and replacements?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above, then you need to know when to calibrate your torque tools.
Once you know the frequency with which to calibrate your torque wrench, you will avoid errors in meter readings, repairs, and unnecessary extra costs.
It’s important to note if the error on the torque goes beyond the acceptable limit, you will need to have your tools repaired, so don’t wait too long.
Important points to consider
- Make note of any changes in the performance between 2500-3000 repetitions
- If errors on torque reach beyond the permissible limit, recalibration needs to be considered
- Follow the rule of thumb: “The more the usage, the more calibration needed”
- Following general care tips in usage and storage will help maintain the ideal level of calibration for a longer period of time
Need help with torque testing?
At Ultra Torq, we have torque testing tools available for rent, and we also offer on-site testing and calibration demonstrations.
Calibration and testing tools
Only need a torque testing tool for a day or two? We have calibration and test equipment available to rent whenever you need them.
- Cover a wide torque range: Our tool calibration systems can handle 100 foot pounds to 3000 foot pounds of torque
- Offers portability: The Calibore Bolt & Tool Tester is lightweight (35 lbs) and can be carried around to any location as needed
On-site testing and calibration demonstration
Want to see how these testing systems operate? We can come to you to test and calibrate just about any bolting or fastening tool you need inspected.
When we come out to your location, we’ll demonstrate how our testing tools work and show you how you can test your own torque wrenches, too.
Keeping on top of your tool maintenance is important. Are you ready to make an appointment for torque testing? Or want to rent your own equipment to do it yourself?
Give us a call! Our experts are waiting to speak to you.